Sunday, February 22, 2009

Post-Valentine

First of all....yay!!! I've got in to the Pharmaceutical Sciences PhD Program in UW-Madison!! (phew) It took a huuuuuuuugeeee load of my mind which means my shoulders too. Glad all my half-assed work did something for me. Now I have to go full-throttle into getting my freaking doctorate.

On Valentine's day, (fortunate or unfortunate-ly) I went to MSU in East Lansing to have my interview for the PhD program there. It was tiring and stressful as usual...well only because I take things seriously ^^ .....I thought I had gave the professors a good impression although I hope they do not suspect me getting drunk and spilling wine on the floor =p......oh well what's done is done..no use crying over spilled wine right?

Waltzing through the interviews finally come Saturday night. My buddy Pat asked me if I had a date, and I replied umm I'm here...and he said so? I grinned and said We'll see. In the end, I hung out with a bunch of applicants and graduate students haha over dinner. While I did not exactly "celebrate" Valentine's Day, I had a nice if not slightly overcook steak plus 3 glasses of gourmet beer *teehee*...played pool w/ some really skillful girls (Heidi + Natasha) and lost (miserably).

While it was an awesome experience, I would have preferred celebrating the day as it is meant to be celebrated (w/ friends and family of course!! =p). So yesterday Todd and I got together for the first time and played pool and talked about girls. Ah~~ how ironic. We drew he won 2 and I won 2 lol.......these talks are priceless...

Then went back to have Neoguri + Jever + Slumdog Millionaire...Slumdog is such a good movie. While it was criticized to be portraying all the bad in Mumbai, I thought it was reasonable as most of the movies in this genre are pretty similar if not worse. In the midst of industrialization and prosperity from the outset was social problems and poverty. Whilst in the end, love, brotherhood, and friendship prevails, (typical typical), it was a nice roller-coaster ride to where Jamal won his 20 mil ruppies. The ending was very impactful, the way his brother Salim bathe himself in money and shot his boss before dying in gunshots. I love how Boyle intertwined the life story of Jamal with each question on the show, each baby step telling us his life experience and how those small, insignificant moments brought him to the pedestal the "million dollar" question. And of course, underlies all these brutality, stupidity, emotions, is a girl. The whole "mess" started because he wanted to find Latika!! Oh well she was hot and the last sentence of the movie "Kiss me" was so awesome in its own way. Finally, the bollywood dance made me chuckle a little. Haha...back to writing my paper...

No comments: